Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Copper Canyon Rattlesnake

This guy was sunning himself on the road in Copper Canyon Ranch as we drove around this evening. I stopped the car and got out with the camera and I think I nearly gave Christopher a heart attack. He wouldn't EVEN hear of me being out there with that snake, so I finally got back into the car, opened the moon-roof and stood on my seat so I could get this shot. I know it looks like the snake was moving away, but he was just laying there perfectly still...no movement...no rattlling until we drove away and then off he went too. (I think he just wanted to be blogged about...tee hee)
Once I knew how to tell how old snakes are, but not so sure anymore...something about each time they shed their skin they get a new rattle...I didn't get TOO close, but I counted 8 rattles and a button on the end...whatever that means?

No comments: